Don’t Lose Out On Compensation You Deserve

Let Us Fight For You

Seek care for a brain injury at an appropriate facility

On Behalf of | Mar 8, 2018 | Brain Injury |

When Alameda residents suffer an injury or trauma to the head, it is crucial to get medical care as soon as possible. After all, these types of injuries are a factor in 50,000 deaths annually in this country. But new information suggests that the type of facility where victims obtain care for a brain injury is also an important factor in their outcome.

In a study recently published in the Journal of the American College of Surgeons, researchers found that of those studied, 44 percent of victims who suffered a serious head injury were taken for treatment at a hospital. On the other hand, 56 percent of those studied received treatment at a specialized trauma center. Those who went to a trauma center saw significant benefits: they could go home sooner, were less likely to require extensive rehabilitation and those age 65 and older even saw an increase in their chances of surviving a brain trauma if they were treated at a trauma center.

Unlike a hospital, a trauma center is designed and equipped specifically to treat patients in serious conditions, including those suffering from a traumatic brain injury. They have the resources and the protocols in place to respond quickly and effectively. Their personnel will also have training and experience in these types of injuries, which may require complicated surgery in the most serious cases.

Unfortunately, treatment at a trauma center may not be covered by a victim’s health insurance the same way a hospital visit or even a trip to the emergency room would be. Different professionals called upon to treat the victim may be out-of-network, and a victim may not even be aware of this. Even if some portion is covered, these highly specialized services in emergency situations may still yield significant medical bills.

A legal professional can help brain injury victims seek compensation for these kinds of expenses when their injury was the result of another’s negligence. One should never have to compromise on medical treatment, especially when the evidence indicates that specialized care may be more appropriate in a brain injury case.

Source: PsychCentral, “Brain Injury Patients May Fare Better at Trauma Center,” Traci Pedersen, March 3, 2018