Don’t Lose Out On Compensation You Deserve

Let Us Fight For You

What type of care might a brain injury patient need?

On Behalf of | Jan 24, 2019 | Brain Injury |

As this blog has discussed before, even a mild brain injury will likely require some initial care and medical treatment. More severe brain injuries, like the kind that would put an Alameda County resident in a coma, may require long-term care or even rehabilitation that will last for the rest of the victim’s life.

When it comes to more severe brain injuries, a patient may require a range of rehabilitation services. Usually, a person’s psychiatrist or neurologist, a doctor who specializes in the structure and function of the brain, will head up the rehabilitation process.

The person’s doctor will likely recommend many different types of therapists, depending on how the brain injury affected the person. For example, if the brain injury caused speech and language problems, a speech pathologist or therapist may be involved in the person’s care.

Likewise, occupational and physical therapists may be needed if the victim lost some mobility as a result of the brain injury. Because a brain injury can also affect a victim’s concentration and even behavior, a neuropsychologist, who has special expertise in dealing with such issues, may have to provide treatment and services to the victim.

Finally, since the brain injury may have limited what the victim can do in terms of work, vocational rehabilitation, which involves re-learning or acquiring new job skills, may be needed. It also almost goes without saying that in the case of a serious brain injury, help with basic nursing and personal care will be important for a family.

Not surprisingly, all of these services add up quickly. Paying these bills is one of the big reasons why Californians may find it necessary to sue in the event someone else’s negligence caused a brain injury.