It’s easy to go about your day without ever thinking about the risk of a slip-and-fall accident. However, if you’re not careful (and even if you are), you could suffer a serious injury when you least expect it.
There are a variety of conditions that can result in an indoor slip-and-fall accident, such as at your place of employment, a shopping mall or a grocery store. These include the following:
- Wet floors: There are many causes of wet floors, ranging from a ceiling leak to a recent cleaning. Property owners and property managers must use proper signage to warn pedestrians of wet floors.
- Application of too much polish or wax: Polish and wax can enhance the visual appearance of a walking surface, while also protecting it against damage. It can also make for slippery conditions.
- Torn or bulging carpet: Over time, carpet has a way of breaking down. This can result in tears and bulges, both of which can cause a slip-and-fall accident. For example, a tear could catch your foot, thus causing you to lose your balance.
- Damaged or dangerous stairs: This includes things such as the use of wax on stairs, missing or cracked stairs, and missing or loose handrails.
- Jerking elevators and escalators: You expect elevators and escalators to operate smoothly, but this isn’t always the case. If the machinery jerks, such as when stepping off an elevator, it could knock you off your feet.
If you’re injured in a slip-and-fall accident, your first thought may be to get up and see if you can walk away from the scene. You don’t want to rush this, as it could result in additional injuries.
Instead, stay where you are and call for help. Responding paramedics can transport you to a local hospital for examination and treatment.
Once you’re on the path to recovery, learn more about the cause of your slip-and-fall accident and your legal rights in California. You may be able to take legal action against the property owner, with the idea of obtaining compensation for your injuries and other damages.
Visit our website and read our blog for additional information on slip-and-fall accidents and your legal rights.