Don’t Lose Out On Compensation You Deserve

Let Us Fight For You

CA truck driver pulled off the road as an “imminent hazard”

On Behalf of | Feb 20, 2018 | Car Accidents |

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) is tasked with many things, including the prevention of commercial motor vehicle related fatalities and injuries. The agency meets this objective in a number of ways, including the implementation of rigorous standards for commercial drivers’ licenses as well as compliance and enforcement efforts.

These enforcement efforts were recently highlighted with a story involving a man with a California commercial driver’s license (CDL). The FMCSA conducted an investigation after the driver was involved in an accident. The accident occurred when the driver lost control of his commercial truck, crossed a median and collided with another semi-truck. The driver of the second semi-truck died as a result of injuries sustained in the accident.

The FMCSA investigation found that the driver suffered a medical condition that disqualified him from operating a commercial motor vehicle. The agency also found the driver lied on his medical questionnaire and refused to provide a urine sample after the accident noted above.

Ultimately, the driver received an “imminent hazard out-of-service order” that requires he immediately cease operating these trucks on the nation’s roadways.

What happens if a driver that receives a similar order operates his vehicle? A failure to comply with this type of order will likely result in fines and potential criminal penalties. In this case, the driver would face a fine of $1,811 for each violation.

If the failure to comply results in an accident that injures others, victims also have recourse.

What type of recourse is available for those injured in a truck accident in CA? Those who are injured or lose a loved one in a truck wreck involving an 18-wheeler or other type of commercial motor vehicle may receive compensation for truck accident related injuries.

This compensation may be available through a civil claim or personal injury lawsuit. It is wise for victims to discuss their accident with an attorney experienced in these matters to determine the best course of legal action.